November 3, 2012

Heartbeating


Have you ever found that life has sped up to point of detachment? That when you think about your day, your week, the past month, not only does it seem like events happened a lifetime ago, but they happened to someone else?

I'm in that season right now, it seems. And I'm deeply grateful I chose the independent professional project (IPP) for college that I did, because nothing pulls me out of the blurring race of life like a great conversation. You know the kind; the ones that slow time down as you openly, honestly connect with another person; the ones that set off thoughts in your head to the tune of "Oh my god, here is this intelligent, funny, beautiful human being who is trying to answer the big questions, just like me."

As much work as my radio show/podcast Heartbeat is (and will be), I wouldn't trade the conversations I've had for anything. They've been an anchor in a stormy three months.

I could ask you to head on over to Heartbeat's website, Twitter and Facebook to see what I'm up to (the first episode is now podcasting).

But before you do that, grab someone (a friend, an acquaintance, someone you barely know), clear an hour of your time and have an open, honest, emotionally available conversation. Tell them something you've never told anyone and ask questions that leap over barriers of polite manners and awkwardness.

Trust me - it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I had just such a conversation with my Dad this summer; it'll rank among the hours best spent in my life, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny, I think I value some of the conversations I've had with my parents as an adult more than my entire childhood? Meeting them "again" on equal-ish footing and having, what, twenty years thrown into a new light is beyond the beyond.

      That's the best I can do in expressing a complicated sentiment right now. I need a speechwriter/coffee.

      Delete